UNESCO World Heritage Site
Edirne, Turkey: Former capital of the Ottoman Empire
- Built by Ottoman architect Mimar Sinan between 1568 and 1574.
- Considered by Mimar Sinan his greatest masterpiece.
- Mosque was commissioned by Sultan Selim II.
- The tiles of Selimiye were made in Iznik.
- The complex is considered to be the most harmonious expression ever achieved of the Ottoman külliye, a group of buildings constructed around a mosque and managed as a single institution.
© Scott Woodham Photography